Friday, August 8, 2008

The Ferris Wheel


This past week I went on vacation with the whole fam damily, and believe it or not, we actually had fun! We drove across Wyoming to see my mom and dad and then a bit further to see Chris' mom and dad as well as a couple of his siblings.

This is something I've been dreading for some time... being trapped in a fast moving vehicle with 4 bored, whiny, squirrely kids. I originally thought that for me to do that I would have to be drugged up on cold medication and possibly drunk too. Luckily one of Chris' coworkers brought in a portable DVD player for him to borrow. The DVD player was such a life saver... the kids lives more than mine! They LOVED watching TV in the car... it was such a novelty. We stopped in Cheyenne for gas... the kids were actually a little disappointed to get out of the van, they were worried they would miss the movie! When we got back into the car I told the kids that it would be 2 more movies before we were at grandma's house. At Wheatland we stopped for a potty break and to purchase some snacks. While there, an older gentleman asked the girls where they were going. With great enthusiasm, they told them they were going to grandma's house and that they would be there, 'in 2 more movies!' The gentleman laughed about that for a long time... he loved that movies were a new way to measure distance.

My parents live in a very rural area and don't have a huge number of neighbors. As you can see, they don’t live exactly in the middle of no where, but it is the same zip code. My parents board a couple of horses and only have one of their own. The kids loved the horses and enjoyed petting them.

The real treat however, was when my dad broke out the Ferris wheel (four wheeler) Taylor, Olivia, and Lukey loved the four wheeler, and Lukey is still talking about the ‘Ferris wheel’ as he coined it. Dee Dee, being smarter than my other kids, liked to watch, but decided safety came first and couldn't be enticed to get on it even for a picture. Taylor and Olivia got lessons in driving it, with grandpa on back for safety. It was a lot of fun and something I’m sure the kids will remember for a long time to come.

No comments: